Tuesday, July 21, 2009

In God We Trust.

So I found this article. It talks about a group of atheists and agnostics that are trying to stop the engraving of the words "In God We Trust" at the Capital building in D.C.

Now, I may not have a strong belief in God. In fact, I don't have any. That being said, I don't really care about the movement these people are acting out. "In God We Trust" is a slogan, a phrase that people say all the time without thinking about what it means at all.

When I was in elementary school, we said the Pledge of Allegiance every day. Did I understand what was meant when I said, "one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all?" No. Definitely not. "Indivisible" meant "invisible" to me, and "liberty and justice for all" might as well have been Spanish. But, I memorized the words and said them like a robot while making faces at my friends in class. None of the words mattered to me because it was the same as saying "I'm sorry" for stealing someones cookie. You say it because you are expected to but you don't care. You're not sorry. That cookie was damn good.

In 1956, while the country was busy freaking out about the imminent invasion of communists like Boris and Natasha, the phrase, "In God We Trust" was named as the country's official motto. I find it weird that our country has an official motto that contradicts something explicitly stated in the First Amendment to the Constitution while we don't even have an official language. So next time you hear someone complain about a foreigner not being able to speak "our language," you can tell him/her to shut the hell up because we don't have a language.

This being said, I still don't care about the engraving. It doesn't bother me that our money says "God" on it, it doesn't bother me that little kids all over the country are reciting the Pledge with the words "under God" in it, and it wouldn't bother me if "In God We Trust" was carved in stone in Washington D.C. I'm sure it's already there somewhere, what does it matter if it pops up again?

I could see members of religions that don't believe in "God," but another variation of the figure, getting angry about this situation. "Why not put Mohammed, Buddha or Jobu on the Capital?" But for a person who doesn't believe either way to get all worked up about it just seems to be picking a fight.

Our government is directed by religion whether we like it or not. That's just the way it is. Imagine if a presidential candidate admitted that he/she didn't believe in God. There would be no chance for them. I don't think this is right but I'm pragmatic enough to know that it won't change anytime soon.

Maybe these people filing the lawsuit are more motivated than I am. Maybe these people have stronger convictions and believe that things should be the way they should be. Maybe we need people like this to wake the rest of us up to influence us to take action of our own volition. This, however, won't happen. We're all too fat, lazy, and apathetic to do anything about anything. Especially something that hasn't brought about much controversy since it was first put on our money fifty years ago. We've had it in our pockets this whole time. Why wait until it's in a building on the other side of the country (the people that filed the lawsuit are from Wisconsin) to get all antsy about it?

If these people had taken a different route, one with more pizazz, I might be more behind this idea (I'm behind it, but in the laziest way possible). If they had, perhaps, put together a march, made flyers, eye-catching posters, thought-provoking viral videos, or anything else that's a little more fun than a fucking lawsuit, I'd be a little more enthusiastic. But no, they chose to put together a lawsuit that won't even be as entertaining as the episode of Judge Judy I'll be watching soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment