Sunday, July 19, 2009

One more step in the right direction.

Friday night didn’t involve any sleep. This was a nice set up to the day I was about to have. The apartment complex I live in was having a community event that included free pancakes, coffee, and orange juice. While there, I met some neighbors and other people that came to help make the food and set the tables up. I talked to a woman that does freelance journalism, a creative writing major at Georgia Tech, and a man with business cards.

We were talking about trying to find a job when he pulled his card out. Mechanical Engineer. He was 5’ 9’’ with dark hair and dark glasses. When he spoke, he barely moved his jaw. Kinda like Clint Eastwood. He wore a tucked-in flannel shirt that, combined with his glasses and awkward demeanor, made me think of Jeffrey Dahmer the whole time I talked with him. His wife sat at the end of the table, across from me, with a mouth full of braces.

His advice was to get some business cards, “It’ll help with networking.”

“Of course I’ll get business cards,” I thought to myself, “except they won’t help me find any work.” I knew right away the card would be covered in swear words.

He wrote down a web address for a company that will send you 250 business cards for free (besides shipping costs).

I’m going to have to wait a few days before I can order the cards since I don’t have enough money to cover the shipping charges. I’m pretty excited to receive my package of 250 of the most useless business cards to ever be printed. I foresee many hat tips and card giveaways in local Atlanta bars throughout August. Part of me wants to try to get rid of them all in one night, which wouldn’t be too hard, and part of me wants to make this last as long as possible.



This is a preview of the wonderful business cards that will eventually come my way. It’s a good thing my desire for free pancakes kept me up long enough to learn about www.vistaprint.com. If it wasn’t for the Dahmer-looking guy, my life would have continued to be incomplete. One month from now, I may not have a job but I will have business cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment