Monday, August 24, 2009

Lady Gaga

I wrote a little deal about Lady Gaga's song, "Love Game." It didn't make it onto the site it was written for so I figured I might as well just plop it in here.

Here ya go:

There’s no mistaking this song is about sex. There’s no way to twist the words to find another meaning, no way to be led in any other direction than the bedroom. You don’t need to go any further than the first line to figure it out.

“Let’s have some fun, this beat is sick
I want to take a ride on your disco stick.”

Yeah, that’s right. She says “disco stick.” Now, you might be able to make the case that a disco stick could mean something as harmless as a stripper pole, but that’s not the case. We all know she’s talking about grinding on somebody until she comes in her pants. I know, I don’t like it any more than you.



Songs celebrating women’s sexuality is nothing new. I think everyone remembers Khia’s hit in 2002, “My Neck, My Back,” not to mention Madonna, Lil’ Kim, and Trina. It’s songs like this that female artists put out to try to take sexuality back into their hands. “No longer will we let men be the only ones that can be whores and have it be perfectly acceptable,” seems to be their battle cry. Another example from "Love Game":

“I’m educated in sex, yes,
And now I want it bad, want it bad.”

I’m all for women to be treated as equals, dropping the double standards and treating people like people, but this is a step in the wrong direction. Misogynistic songs have been around for so long that people don’t even take notice. This doesn’t mean it’s okay. Racism has been around for a while too and may be accepted by some (I’m looking at you, the south) but that doesn’t make it right.


Women making songs like "Love Game" are following a trend that shouldn’t be followed. The only thing that will come from it is that the misogynists that either make songs like this or simply enjoy this song are only going to subjugate women even more because women are voluntarily jumping into the roles the men ask of them.

Aside from the misplaced feminism of Lady Gaga’s hit song, another thing hit me when I was listening to it. This is not a new revelation since I have it almost every time I turn on the radio, but, the song is horrible. I mean, really bad. Dangerously bad. Suck-out-your-brain-and-make-you-dumb-like-The-Riddler’s-machine-in-Batman-Forever kind of bad.

Lady Gaga should be arrested and all of her fans euthanized.

1 comment: