Thursday, January 28, 2010

Graffiti is cool.

One of the first things I remember seeing when I moved here was a piece of graffiti that said "Pray for ATL."


(you can click on the images to make them larger)

Throughout the following months I saw many areas covered in graffiti and just kind of quickly glanced over them as I drove by. There are a few in particular that caught my eye.


I don't know what this is all about. I think it might have something to do with this...



There's also this...


After a few months some names began poking out at me, as I saw them all over the place.

One of such tags is a guy that goes by "Vomet."



I drive all over the city for my job and see his tag wherever I go. I've seen him on old buildings, new ones, highway overpasses, street signs, and basically anything else you can think of that is outside.

Here's one I saw on an old, shut down building where the name of the business would go.



Here are a few others spotted throughout the day.







Notice the "Hi Haterz" in the corner? Nice touch, someone else.

Another name that I've seen a lot around town is a guy/girl that goes by "Nope."



I like this guy because he tends to tag on other people's tags a lot while also tagging on places that have been painted over by "the man." Oh, you didn't like it when people wrote on your walls? Think it looks better without graffiti? Nope.



Here's another one where the tag wouldn't show up with just black paint. Solution? Put down a white base first.



Krog Street Tunnel is basically a collage of the city's graffiti artists packed into about a hundred yards of concrete. This is a view of one of the sidewalks leading through it. There is another full side like this as well as the pillars between the traffic lanes that are also filled with pictures and tags.



There are the normal tags throughout, like this giant one from Nope and another from Vomet.





There are also a plethora of random, nonsensical pictures strewn between the tags.











and some inspirational words...



There are a ton more pics of just Nope and Vomet but it would be superflous to put every one I've seen on here. There would be too many to count, since I start getting confused around the mid-thirties.

I don't know anything about graffiti. An old neighbor of mine used to do it and talked about it one night. From what I gathered from that conversation, it seems like an underground community. I picture one graffiti artist seeing another person's tag on a hard to reach spot like a highway overpass and silently nodding his head in approval. I think it's more than just some rapscallions vandalizing public property for the hell of it. I think it's a group of people with (sometimes) real artistic talent and a carefree, "fuck you" attitude. Both of which I can easily get behind.

I like seeing these pictures all over the place. Also, I saw a dead bird today in the parking lot of a grocery store. Looks like it got rocked pretty hard.



ALSO, this.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, whoever took these pictures did a great job. Looks professional.

    ReplyDelete