Thursday, January 7, 2010

It's snowing. HOLY SHIT.

It’s snowing. Here. In Atlanta. Wtf. I moved south to avoid things like this. Twenty degree weather? What the hell?

When I say it’s snowing, I mean it’s the southern version of snowing. In Wisconsin it would be referred to as a “dusting,” or a light flurry with no accumulation. To anyone from above the Mason-Dixon Line, this is no big deal. In Georgia, however, the sky might as well be on fire.

I refuse to leave my house. If people don’t know how to drive when the conditions are perfect, I’m not going to risk it in the snow. I’m sure no one will know to slow down before coming to a stop, or take corners slow, or anything useful like that. “What’s this white shit? Fuck it, who cares?" Vrrrrrrroooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmm…..

And then someone dies. Or gets hurt. Or gets into an accident, making someone mad, and then someone dies. I think I’ll pass on that whole scene.

This is a picture from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. When snow comes people think they won't be able to leave their houses for weeks so they stock up on the essentials. Seriously. Better get five gallons. There's no telling when this blizzard will let up.



The snow didn’t show up until the middle of the afternoon. The forecast said it would come around four o’clock. That’s right, four o’clock in the afternoon. You may be asking, why is this important? Because schools were already closed last night. Yeah. Schools closed down on the possibility of snow arriving in the late afternoon. It’s understandable, though. I mean, you can’t expect someone to drive their kid to school through a blizzard that dumps a whole zero inches of snow all over the city while said kid is safe at home anyways. And it’s not like education is really all that important. It’s the south.

On the bottom of the television screen right now they have the news ticker of the school closings for tomorrow. The snow is supposed to clear up by midnight. If schools closed for this type of snowfall in the north, the kids would never have a full day of school. They might as well close the schools when there’s a heavy downpour, or thick fog, or a leap year, or an asteroid. It all makes the same amount of sense.

I understand that they don’t have the snow removal capabilities that we did in Wisconsin. I understand that it’s a rare event around here. But to close school for two days because of a light snow shower that occurred during off-hours and will be gone by the time school would have started tomorrow? That’s fucking ridiculous.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I stayed in my apartment until about 3:00 today, thinking I could avoid the combination of snow and stupid people. Wrong. Cars sliding right into each other. What a shit show.

    ReplyDelete