Sunday, April 11, 2010

I can understand police brutality.

It's pretty easy to say police brutality is wrong. Because it is. The inherent abuse of authority it implies is enough to make the case for it's wrong-ness. Not to mention the beating of a defenseless individual.

That being said, I can easily understand the need sometimes to kick an asshole's face in after finally slapping the handcuffs on him/her. Think about it, if you had just chased somebody, at very high speeds through residential areas where kids run around and bunnies frolic, wouldn't you want to punch him in the face for selfishly endangering everyone around you just to avoid paying the price for their own actions? I imagine the thought of a squished kid running through the mind of a cop as he/she kicks the criminal while he lays on the ground.

At least, that's what I would be thinking while I did it. If I were a cop, I would definitely beat the hell out of at least a few people by the time I retired. For sure. I get mad enough at people doing the job I have now, I can't imagine what I would do if I saw assholes like this on their worst day, every shift.

"Stop. Selling. Drugs. You. Useless. Pile. Of. Shit." I would yell as I punched until my arms got tired, trying not to rip up my knuckles too badly.

Plus, our penal system is pretty screwed up. Someone may get arrested and released on the same day, only to go back and do whatever they did right before they went in. Maybe if they were put in a figure-four leglock before being tossed in jail, they would learn that prostitution/selling drugs/stealing cars is illegal.

I'm not saying that all police brutality is acceptable. Far from it. About a month ago I saw a cop standing on the sidewalk with a man in handcuffs lying on the sidewalk, apparently unconscious. The cop looked around, took out his nightstick, and bopped the guy in the stomach a couple times. This isn't acceptable brutality. The man on the ground was no longer a threat, he had probably already gotten a healthy beating before I arrived, it was the middle of the night and no one was around (so it's not like the guy was endangering and innocent, church-going, citizens). If the guy had been pulled from a car around 3:45 p.m. I might be able to understand a little better. But this guy didn't pose a threat. Good try, cop. But you have to learn to withhold the beatings for more qualified applicants. Or at least do a better job of making sure no one is watching.

"Hey! You'll be singing a different tune when you're the victim of some overzealous cop!" you may be saying. Yeah right. Been there, done that.

When I was in high school, a cop got a little liberal with his method of apprehending me. I don't hold it against him. I deserved it. He would have been totally justified in kicking me in the ass and throwing me into a wall. I'd be okay with that. Sure, not while it was happening, but looking back on it now, he would have been right.

I'd bet that the majority of police brutality cases are just some egotistical cop wailing on some minority. However, there are some instances where the cop is totally justified in giving a leg-drop of the top ropes to some asshole.

1 comment: